Centenary United Methodist Church Cemetery
6248 Shady Side Rd
Shady Side, Maryland 20764
Centenary United Methodist Church Cemetery on FindAGrave
Centenary United Methodist Church website
Also known as Shady Side Methodist Church
Approximately 35 graves
Tombstones range from 1894-1998
No known veterans
Church members currently (2002) worship at Oakland UMC.
Tombstone Inscriptions of Southern Anne Arundel County the Marlborough Towne Chapter, N.S.D.A.R., 1971, p. 196
Directory of Maryland Burial Grounds the Genealogical Council of Maryland, 1996, p. 56.
A fire destroyed the church 12 April 2000.
The oldest part of the former church, the sanctuary, started as an Episcopal church in Owensville. In 1866 it was outgrown and Methodists meeting in homes in Shady Side took it apart and moved it by barge and oxcart. Augustus and Martha Lerch donated the land. Two additions were built. The church grew from a small band of people who began worshiping in 1835 at Swamp Chapel.