Anne Arundel Speaks, our quarterly newsletter, covers a range of topics of interest to beginning, intermediate, and expert genealogists alike. Each issue contains a feature article and news about our Society and its activities. Also featured are tips on genealogy resources on the Internet, book reviews, member queries, and current happenings in the local and national genealogical community. Speaks has been an informative newsletter since 1974. Articles and news items from members are always welcome.
Click on the image to the right for a sample issue of Speaks. Issues of Speaks since 2008 are available online to members in the Members Only area. All back issues are available in our Store on CD in fully searchable pdf format.
Anne Arundel Readings
The first issue of Anne Arundel Readings appeared in January 1998. It proved to be a popular publication, and it offered valuable information for the genealogist. We have been pleased and proud to provide this benefit to our members, but fifteen years takes its toll on volunteers, be they editors or transcribers. Production and distribution costs continue to rise while a new era of electronic communication has appeared on the scene.
Anne Arundel Readings, published twice yearly, provided material from a wide variety of Anne Arundel County sources covering the period from the establishment of the county to the early twentieth century. This 50+ page journal contained Civil War records, Bible records, family genealogies, and genealogical information from county newspapers. During its 15 year run, Readings published material important to the Anne Arundel County researcher.
Click on the cover to the right for an example of the kind of article that was published in Anne Arundel Readings.
Our Readings Contents List lists the Table of Contents for each issue of Readings published through Vol. 16, No. 1 (January 2013). Check it out - we may have published information about your ancestors that you have been looking for.
To purchase a complete set of Anne Arundel Readings, visit our Store, where all 31 issues are available on CD in fully searchable PDF format. You can purchase pdf copies of individual issues here.
We published our last print issue of Readings, Volume 16, No. 1, in January 2013. After looking into how best to continue this unique publication our members have come to expect, we started Readings Online, available on our website as a benefit to our members. Our initial offering was Anne Arundel County Will Abstracts provided by Robert Barnes. We have continued to add content as it becomes available.
To date, Readings Online includes:
- Anne Arundel County Will Abstracts (1780-1797)
- Anne Arundel County Deaths, Marriages, Interesting Bits from the Baltimore Sun newspaper (1837-1950)
- Anne Arundel County Marriage Records (1777-1877), compiled by John W. Powell
- Anne Arundel County Wills Index (1777-1918), compiled by John W. Powell.
- Links to entries from the Anne Arundel Advertiser newspaper Marriage Licenses -Divorces, Applications for Liquor Licenses, The Oyster Navy, Game Wardens, and Local Licensers of Explosives
- Anne Arundel Land Commissions Estate Records (1811-1829)
- Anne Arundel Circuit of the Methodist Protestant Church
- Louisa C MacPherson’s Book - Journal entries (1787 to 1924)
- Severn Circuit Methodist Episcopal Church Records (1881-1906)
- Severn Parish Families, Baptisms, Marriages, Burials (1889-1930)
- The Old Stone House by Margaret Sparrow
- Trinity Methodist Church - South (1882-1970)
- West River Circuit Methodist Episcopal Church Baptisms and Marriages (1858-1931)
If you have material that you believe would be suitable for publication in Readings Online, please submit it to email@example.com.